When Should You See an Endodontist?

When Should You See an Endodontist?

Tooth pain can be frustrating and unbearable. Whether you have tooth sensitivity or pain when chewing food, you must get to the root of the problem. A Midtown board certified endodontist like Charles M. Marks can help you identify the source of your pain.

Causes of tooth pain

  • Tooth decay
  • Infected gums
  • Broken tooth
  • Abscessed tooth
  • Repetitive motions like chewing gum

When you have a toothache, the first line of medical attention is a dentist. If the problem with your tooth is inside it, the dentist will refer you to an endodontist. An endodontist deals with the inside of a tooth called the tooth pulp. Essentially, they deal with nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissues inside the tooth.

You should see an endodontist in the following circumstances:

When you have tooth pain

Toothache is the primary indicator that there is something wrong with your tooth. It can be a dull or sharp pain, and you should seek treatment to prevent the underlying problem from continuing. Visit your dentist to ascertain whether you need to see an endodontist.

When your teeth are sensitive to hot or cold beverages or food

Sensitivity to heat or cold is a clear indication that you need to have a dental evaluation. There is always a reason why your teeth are sensitive to heat or cold. An endodontist will check for cavities, gum diseases, receding gums, or tooth decay.

When you injure your teeth

If you happen to injure your tooth in whatever circumstance, an endodontist can help you get it back in place. The treatment of the tooth will depend on its location and the severity of the injury. It is crucial to visit a dental clinic immediately after a tooth injury.

In case of a broken tooth

Similar to a tooth injury, broken teeth require immediate attention. Your tooth specialist can either glue the broken fragment back on the tooth or cover the tooth with a filling or crown. An endodontist will perform a root canal treatment if the nerves are exposed.

Bacterial infection

Bacterial infections cause an abscess in your teeth, which can be an uncomfortable experience. Due to the pus, your endodontist will drain the abscess and give medication like antibiotics. In severe cases, the specialist will extract your tooth or perform a root canal procedure. There are several steps to ensure that you receive the appropriate treatment.

Treatments that endodontists offer

While root canal treatment is the most common procedure that endodontists perform, they also perform dental implants and offer treatments for traumatic dental injuries. The method of treatment largely depends on an individual’s needs. 

Charles M. Marks, DDS & Dental Associates in Midtown, New York, can offer you treatment for your dental pains and concerns. The practice will offer you different treatments such as fillings, mouth guards, dental implants and crowns, extractions, and bridges.

With the focus on making your teeth look good and function properly, the health institute will renew your smile and dental function. Since dental problems require immediate attention, the institute offers same-day emergencies. Call or book an appointment today and treat your tooth pain the right way.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *